Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

Definition: offspring grow up to be like their parents. What goes on at home WILL walk out the door and show itself in the form of our offspring. Isn't it lovely when we get a good report? Our child behaved - was polite, said "thank you." We aren't supposed to live through them; but their behavior reflects their homelife, like it or not. I propose we start something. A movement so to speak. NICE DOES MATTER!

This blog is a sounding board for:
  1. My personal pet peeves in the world of manners
  2. How to dine like a diplomat
  3. Thank you notes - correspondence protocol
  4. RSVP'ing and all facets of partying with polish
  5. ...and curious rants, I am sure.
  6. I'll also announce upcoming events

Tell me what you do at home to promote manners! How do you teach your offspring to be nice?

...because nice matters!

7 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE that you started this!!! I love etiquett blogs :) I cannot wait to read all your wonderful advice! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I corresponded for awhile regarding a workshop here in The Woodlands. I'm so sorry it didn't come to pass, but my 18 year old daughter and I both look forward to learning your tips on this blog! Thanks for starting it!
    Susan Yates-Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already posted my biggest pet peeve. The RSVP issue. Great blog you have started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Virginia, It’s great to see your blog, I’m thrilled you’re doing this.

    I’d love to share a short story about my 4 year old, Kyle, and saying “thank you”. Last night, in fact, we were packing up to leave his T-ball game, and I suggested that he say “thank you” to the coach’s wife for supplying chairs and equipment buckets for each of the children on the team. He said “thank you” , but later in the car, he asked me why we have to say “thank you” to everyone. I answered by walking him through the steps I imagine the coach’s wife went through to gather, label, transport, set-up, and clean the chairs and buckets for the game. He said, “wow, Daddy…that’s a lot of work”. Then I reminded him of how he feels when I tell him how proud I am of work that he’s done…he agreed that he likes that feeling. Then I suggested that she probably had that same good feeling when he said “thank you” and acknowledged all the effort she put into getting the chairs ready. He paused for just a second, then he got a big smile and said, “you really think I made her feel happy, Daddy? That’s pretty cool”!
    I think he gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Virginia:
    I was just discussing this subject via email with one of the many groups I am affiliated with. This one in particular had 15 people invited to a particular event and 3 had responded. 3!!!! So because of people's lack of follow through, I must contact the other 12 people with emails, phone calls, etc. So a simple correspondence and reply that would have taken no more than a few minutes by each party ended up taking over an hour and a half because of sheer rudeness. I am so over people not responding. Please ~ if you get an invitation - at least respond one way or the other! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh CK - I sympathize. A couple of years ago I was awaiting 100 responses for a dance. One week before I heard from oh, 25'ish. HAD to call, etc. SO rude! It can just send me over the edge...

    ReplyDelete

It'd be SO NICE of you to drop me a comment...