Thursday, June 24, 2010

Communication Counts!

Posted by Picasa(reproduced with permission from artist/cartoonist, Dave Coverly)

Hys-ter-ical.  Dave Coverly's cartoon made my husband and I laugh out LOUD!  I clipped it and held on to it.  I'll definitely incorporate it in a future class.

The cartoon is spot on.  What HAVE we come to?  The art of communication is a bunch of grunts without eye contact.

I tell students to turn off cell phones at the beginning of a class.  You'd think I had asked them to cut off their thumbs.  I mean really....you should see the eye contact I get at THAT request.

An earlier post of mine on how the apple doesn't fall far from the tree is here.  I hope the cartoon is far from your reality.
May I suggest YOU communicate to your kiddo
just how to communicate.
We like:

- To look into their eyes
- Shake their hands
- Learn something about them (in person not via a text message)

Strong communication skills are signs of a confident young person and a potential leader.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young had something when they sang "Teach Your Children Well."

2 comments:

  1. Teach your children well! I am a strong believer. I love your website 'cause "nice does matter" and there needs to be better manners everywhere. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true! Our kids do not even know how to hold a real conversation! Love your suggestions and I will be using them on my boys!

    ReplyDelete

It'd be SO NICE of you to drop me a comment...