Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fine Arts Etiquette: A Fine Line

As we sat in the fine arts center waiting for the program to start; my eyes darted to & fro.  Oh, my---a gentleman in shorts and a ball cap.  There's a woman with enough thigh and cleavage showing I wonder, how DOES she sit comfortably? 

And two seats down a hip teen pulls out the cell phone and texts.  And texts more.  Even when the lights go out. 

People are supporting the fine arts.  Yay!  But, in my humble opinion the art of "what to do in public" is not so fine!

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with your observations. This is one of those times when we have to muster all of the compassion we can and trust that their intention is to enjoy the show, not to offend - even though they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sincere question: If nothing is communicated to them, then they are correct in thinking that this is acceptable behaviour. In which case, then, they would not be acting inappropriately. It seems to me, as well, that that casts a responsibility to be vocal/active/visible else risk the eroding of what one believes to be proper. This doesn't fit with me, either. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

It'd be SO NICE of you to drop me a comment...